Friday, October 26, 2012

Jonathan Winters Says Don't Wait For the Right Moment to Be Successful




“If your ship doesn’t come in, swim out to it!” – Jonathan Winters 

There is always opportunity. It may, however, require more effort than you anticipated. Think of the times you had an incredible drive to accomplish something. During those times, when your desire was strong, it never mattered what others thought of your process to obtain it. You did what it took and fulfilled your goals.

When you have clear, organized thoughts about what you want to achieve combined with a powerful intention, it is very difficult for you to
be denied the object of your desire. Furthermore, when your thoughts and intention are very clear, the idea of doing what it takes does not occur as an extra effort. Therefore, it becomes easier to swim out to your ship when it is in sight.

In a personal example, when I was 9 years old, I made a decision to not get married or have children until after I lived abroad for a few years. My plan was to make that happen in my early 20’s. Unfortunately, I lost both my parents when I was 21 years old. That turned my life upside down. At that moment, as the oldest of four children, I chose to take care of the well being of my brother and sisters. I postponed the idea of living abroad. 

By my late 20’s, the bug to live abroad was alive again. In my mind, there was nothing that could stop me from fulfilling that ambition. At the age of 33, I packed up and left the US for 2 ½ years.

While the opportunity to live abroad did not come to me when I thought it would, my determination gave me the impetus to pursue it regardless of the obstacles life through at me. The same applies for you. It’s never to late to make life happen the way you desire it to be. It’s your life and you only get one chance to live it well. Don’t wait for the ship to come in. Swim out to it and live your dreams.    


No comments:

Post a Comment